Every quarter, Verisign reviews the state of the domain name industry and highlights important trends, growth opportunities and key performance indicators through in-depth research and analysis. This provides a holistic view of the domain industry and can help businesses make accurate forecasts.
Highlights of the Feb 2011 report include:
- The fourth quarter of 2010 closed with a base of more than 205.3 million domain name registrations across all Top Level Domains (TLDs), an increase of 3.5 million domain names, or 1.7 percent over the third quarter
- Registrations have grown by 12.1 million, or 6.3 percent over the past year
- The .com and .net TLDs reached a combined total of approximately 105.2 million names
- The base of Country Code Top Level Domains (ccTLDs) was 80.1 million domain names, a 1.1 percent increase quarter over quarter, and a 0.3 percent increase year over year
- The order of the top TLDs in terms of zone size changed only slightly compared to the third quarter, as .org moved from fifth to fourth largest TLD, dropping .uk (united Kingdom) from fourth to fifth.
You can view the complete Brief here – http://verisigninc.com/assets/domain-name-report-feb-2011.pdf