We’re back with all the latest buzz from the Domains & Hosting industry. Read on to know all the key happenings that took place in September, 2017.
- Registration Data Access Protocol Pilot Program Launch: On September 5th, 2017 ICANN announced a RDAP pilot program effective from that day until July 31st, 2018. This program helps users access current registration data and has been formulated to replace the WHOIS protocol.
- Intercultural Awareness Program at ICANN 60: ICANN has taken up the initiative of developing cultural knowledge and awareness among a large number of people at their upcoming conference in Abu Dhabi on November 3rd. This program will include a bunch of activities like interaction, discussion and a lot more with experts from around the world. Register yourself today!
From the Domain Industry:
- Spanish police raid .CAT domain name registry offices: .CAT is a domain name for Catalonia region and people who speak Catalan. Last month, the Spanish police asked the registry to block the domain names which were being used to spread information about an upcoming referendum for independence.
- $2.8 million worth premium .VIP domains sold last month: Minds + Machines (MMX), one of the leading nTLD registries, announced a sale of $2.8 million worth of premium .VIP domains in the month of September.
- Namecheap sues Enom & Tucows: 4 million .COM and .NET domains registered through Namecheap were under Enom’s management, as Namecheap was a reseller under Enom. However, now that Namecheap wants to transfer these 4 million domains to its own accreditation,Tucows, who acquired Enom earlier this year, is trying to prevent this transfer from happening. Namecheap has thus filed a lawsuit alleging Tucows of opposing this transfer.
Mergers, Partnerships & Acquisitions
- HPE partners with Cloud Technology to grow Hybrid Cloud: Hewlett Packard Enterprise has signed an agreement with Cloud Technology Partners to advance hybrid cloud. This merger will give HPE the ability to make it easier for their enterprise clients to move to cloud.
- Rackspace acquires Datapipe: Rackspace joins hands with competitor Datapipe to expand its potential for multiple cloud computing services and managed services on the Alibaba cloud. This has been the largest acquisition for Rackspace till date. This also expands Rackspace’s datacenter presence on the U.S West Coast, China, Brazil and a bunch of other large markets.
- Hivelocity enters the LA market with Rack Alley Acquisition: Hivelocity boosts its data center presence in the LA market by striking a deal with laaS provider Rack Alley. Hivelocity will integrate Rack Alley’s facilities and continue to grow their business.
We hope we’ve helped you catch up with all the latest news from the industry. Stay tuned for more, next month!