Welcome to the 3rd edition of the Voice of LogicBoxes – our bi-annual newsletter on the OrderBox platform. We’ve been mighty busy these past few months in enhancing the functionality and usability of the system. And here’s a select list of important updates that have been implemented in the past 6 months:
NEW PRODUCTS & SERVICES
- New Domain Extension: .RU has been successfully launched on the OrderBox platform. Registrars can now provide the following extensions to their customers – .RU, .COM.RU, .NET.RU, .ORG.RU
- New Product: Reseller Hosting has been introduced in the system. Registrars can now sell both Windows and Linux Reseller Hosting with industry-leading Control Panels like WHMCS & Plesk
- New Product: Multi-Domain Hosting on Windows & Linux is now available. This is a feature that a lot of Registrars had requested and we trust that this offering will help them to create a more wholesome portfolio!
- Customer Control Panels have been revamped to make them more intuitive and to increase their effectiveness from a user experience perspective. In addition, the navigation structure has been streamlined and includes a clear ‘Buy’ button for all purchase-related actions
- Registrar & Reseller Dashboards too have been enhanced in functionality to put frequently-used functions within closer reach of users. This includes a suite of tasks like renewal management, global search, listing available funds, etc.
- The ‘Order Preview’ module has been added to OrderBox. This allows users to get a quick overview of a particular order and facilitates speedy management of orders in general
- Work on revamping system-generated emails has begun. This will incorporate the feedback we’ve received from users over the past few months and will ensure that customers receive crisp and to-the-point e-mail communication
- We’ve moved .UK over to EPP and have made significant changes to streamline its API functionality
- The CSV Reports module has been revamped. The new enhancements provide more accurate and wholesome business data that can be used to draw trends and statistics
- The Transfer-in process has been revamped to make it easier for customers to transfer in their domains to the system without using an Authorization Code
- The Upgrade/Downgrade logic on the SuperSite has been shifted from a monthly calculation to a daily one. This will ensure that more accurate pro-rata figures are calculated
That’s it for this edition of the Voice of LogicBoxes. If you have any queries about the same feel free to comment and let us know!
Pic courtesy – @Doug88888
The latest Verisign Domain Name Industry Brief is out. Here are key stats and numbers from the same:
- The first quarter of 2012 closed with a base of more than 233 million domain name registrations across all Top-Level Domains
- This is an increase of 7.5 million domains, or 3.3 percent, over the fourth quarter of 2011
- Overall, registrations have grown by 23 million, a 11% increase since the first quarter of 2011
- The ccTLD pool too has grown by 4.8% and stands at 94.9 million domain names
- This is a 16.2% increase year over year in the ccTLD base
- The order of the top TLDs in terms of zone size did not change when compared to the last quarter. The order remains as: .com, .de, .net, .uk, .org, .info, .tk, .nl, .ru and .eu.
Growth in Total Domain Name Registrations
You can view the entire Verisign Report here.
The LogicBoxes Team will be attending HostingCon 2012 at Boston, Massachusetts.
We will be at the venue to help with on-the-spot ICANN Accreditation Consultations and to answer any queries that you might have about becoming your own Domain Registrar.
You can also schedule a meeting with us on our website here.
You can also get a caricature of yourself and other cool LogicBoxes freebies at our Booth #327.
Hope to see you there!
ICANN has recently publicized the list of new gTLD applicants and the strings that will compete with the 22 existing generic TLDs and 290 odd ccTLDs that exist today.
A total of 1930 applications have been received. These constitute 1409 unique strings. Over the next couple of year, some of these strings will be open for public use and will most certainly change the way we use the internet on a day-to-day basis!
Here’s more details on the applications –
Top Contested TLDs:
- .App (13 applicants)
- .Home (11 applicants)
- .Inc (11 applicants)
- .Art (10 applicants)
- .Blog (9 applicants)
- .Book (9 applicants)
- .LLC (9 applicants)
- .Shop (9 applicants)
Classification of TLDs:
- 1137 Generics
- 643 Brands
- 84 Community
- 66 Geographic
- 116 IDNs (covering 12 scripts)
Global Distribution of TLDs:
- 911 from North America
- 675 from Europe
- 303 from the Asia-Pacific region
- 24 from Latin America and the Caribbean and
- 17 from Africa
Largest Applicants (in terms of no. of applications submitted) include:
- Donuts – 307
- Google – 101
- Amazon – 76
- TLDH – 71
- Famous Four Media – 60
- Uniregistry – 54
- Radix – 31
- Afilias – 31
The entire list of applicant details can be found on ICANN’s Website.
You can get more information about the new gTLD process on http://newgtlds.icann.org. Further insights can be gained on ICANNWiki’s New gTLD page as well.
Pic courtesy newgtlds.icann.org
After months of analyzing user behavior, digging deep into numbers, speaking to Registrars and endlessly debating features and functionality, we’re extremely happy to present a utilitarian Dashboard that is crafted to bring out all the essential data and functions for our power users.
With a minimalistic, yet fresh design, the new OrderBox Dashboard comes reloaded with a host of new additions:
- Funds Overview
Always be abreast of your Available Balance, Locked Funds and Pending Payments for effective Funds management. Also, Adding Funds is now available at your fingertips!
- Easy Management of Orders
Now, don’t miss a single expiring order, as we’ve brought it out to help you take immediate action. Also, you can view a ready list of your latest Orders with one-click access to them. Replete with the “Preview” button, the Dashboard makes Order management a breeze.
- Attractive display of Promos
Display of ongoing Promotions has been spruced up to rightfully bring some focus to them. Additionally, the Dashboard will now only display the latest announcement to increase impact and maintain an easy, clutter-free look.
- And of course, simpler Search
All combined into one pronounced search bar, you can now look up any Order, Sub-Reseller or Customer by simply selecting the entity from the drop down.
And the enhancements don’t just stop here! We have gone one step further and rethought ease of use to introduce two of the most essential functions in a global avatar:
- Global Search – Access Orders, Customers and Sub-Resellers from anywhere in the Control Panel with our global search on the black bar.
- Funds Summary – This small but useful blurb helps you keep a constant tab on your Funds to make sure none of your Orders get stuck. Also, Adding Funds is now globally accessible with this little blurb.
If you have any questions about these new upgrades or about our agile development processes, feel free to comment and let us know!